Medication Policy

We follow the schools policy regarding administration of such medication and therefore it will be necessary to check as to whether your school administers medication on behalf of the legal guardian or not.

If the school’s policy allows such administration, then parents/carers should complete a ‘permission to administer medication’ form accessed from see ‘how to apply’. Please note that it is the responsibility of the parent/carer to ensure that the medication has not expired.

It is the responsibility of the supervisor to administer the medication and each time this happens it will be witnessed by a third party and each party will sign the form as evidence. At the end of the session the parent will be asked to sign the form to confirm they have been informed that the medication has been administered as instructed. When the medication is returned to the parents/carer, they will be asked to sign the form as acknowledgement that the medication has been returned to them and if relevant the quantity received.

A child should not be forced to take the medication, if this happens the parent/carer should be notified immediately and recorded on the ‘permission to administer medication’ form.

Medication should be given to the supervisor to be stored safely out of reach of other children and clearly labelled with the child’s name on.

Epi-pens should be labelled with child’s photograph, name, allergy, and emergency contact.

Children who have long-term or complex medical needs are provided for by implementing strategies agreed in conjunction with the parent/carer. A health care plan would be put in place detailing; the child’s condition, special requirements such as dietary needs, pre-activity precautions and side effects from medicines.

Unwell Child

If a child becomes unwell during a session and requires pain relief, we will endeavour to contact the legal guardian using the contact numbers listed on the child’s records. However, if we are unable to contact the child’s guardian, provided we have written permission, we will administer infant paracetamol or Piriton whichever is relevant.

In the case of an emergency

An emergency is where a child needs treatment beyond what the setting first aider can offer. In this situation the qualified first aider will access the child and care for them. A colleague will call 999 for medical help, the parent/carer & Karen Fitzwater advising them all of the situation. The remaining staff will care for the rest of the children, away from the emergency to ensure the casualty remains calm and protect the other children in our care.